Monday, September 14, 2009

yumm-O !!






It's rather interesting how imperfection is not so hard to take when you allow yourself to learn. I have this silly fear of failure sometimes, and I am impatient too - mostly with myself! This so often gets in the way of doing new things that I would love to be able to do. It's no different with food; how many times have I leafed through my cook books, reading recipes and flipping on to the next one - just because I wasn't sure if I could do it! Yet I yearn to make pasta, Chinese food, and the perfect Sunday roast. I have watched someone else make gnocchi a couple of years ago, it looked so simple but I just never attempted it myself. It's funny to think that I am constantly encouraging my kids with these very words, "Never say I can't, always say I'll try". So today that is what I did, I tried! I was prepared for a total flop, perhaps it's my way of avoiding disappointment. But I have to say, I was not! My first gnocchi may not be perfect to the trained eye, but the flavour was bang on and they were hardly gluey in texture. Not to mention the fun I had putting them together, and eating them with my family. Oh what reward when there is not a sound at the table other than utensils brushing across the plate, and my little one humming along as she always does when she is enjoying her meal.

1 comment:

Tanja Dueck said...

Mir kommt schon das Wasser im Mund...aaaa leeecker! Ich würd die jetzt so gern probieren :)

Your family is really in for a treat!

keep it up!