Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Best ever Drop Biscuits

In keeping with the spirit of bread making, as I am sure it is plain to see that I am concentrating on this part of my culinary journey right now, I would like to share with you my all time favourite drop biscuit recipe. It is probably one of the simplest items I make, yet I am never ever let down by it. In about 5 minutes, plus 12 - 15 bake time, you will have wonderfully rustic and custom flavoured biscuits to accompany a good bowl of stew, or whatever your heart (stomach!) fancies that day. I love to have them hot and ready, perfectly timed with dinner - especially when we are expecting guests - as they are best served warm out of the oven.
Custom flavour additions are up to you, and the meal they are accompanying. My tried and true favourite is small cubes of old cheddar with dried or fresh onions. The amount is up to you, so play around with it. Other options can be garlic and herbs - oregano works best; Parmesan and Asiago; or even a sweet version - try chocolate chips or cinnamon and brown sugar.
I always use my pizza stone (which I think is a kitchen must have, and only a $10 investment) for that wonderful stone baked aroma. I also love that the stone does not need greasing, not that I mind the grease, but it's one extra step that can be left out and makes for easier clean up. If you do not have a pizza stone (shame on you!), use a baking sheet which has been lightly greased or lined with parchment.

Let the fun begin!


Drop Biscuits
Makes 12 biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450 F (230 C). Prepare pizza stone or baking sheet.

In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter. Add the milk and flavourings and mix only until the dry mixture has been absorbed.

Drop by heaping spoonfuls (12 even portions) onto a pizza stone.

Bake for 12 - 1 5 minutes, until golden brown.

1 comment:

Tanja Dueck said...

It sounds so easy and yummy to make that i wanna go try them myself! maybe this weekend! Thanx for sharing!