Monday, September 14, 2009

The art of juggling.




I am oddly stuck for words as I finally sit down with a steaming cup of peppermint tea at the end of a busy day - juggling laundry, cooking, reading, kids, homework, the dog (who, I admit, did not get as much attention as he would like!), dishes, writing menus, etc etc... My husband is just as busy as I am today, so he won't notice his lack of attention. I can't complain, however, as I do love to be busy!
My day started with baking some more bread. If you are a woman, you will understand that by the time I got around to the bread which I started my day with, I have already showered, dressed myself and the kids, made breakfast, cleaned up after breakfast, broke up fights and wiped tears off kids faces, made beds, stepped on toys, made kids clean up toys, made lunches, fed the dog (then ignored the dog), put 3 loads of laundry in, checked my email, wrote some emails, ran the dishwasher and sorted mail. I did skip doing my hair today!
I decided to use up the little bit of whole wheat flour I had left since I did need bread again as my the other bread was devoured fairly quickly. I am determined not to use my bread machine or give into buying bread at the grocery store. My bread did not turn out so perfect today, but I did learn some things along the way.

1)Whole wheat dough is stickier than white, and can get very stuck on the baking sheet after baking. Cornmeal is on my to buy list.

2)I didn't take enough time to tuck in the seams after forming. Thus the big crack on the side.

3) The crust was harder than friday's bread as I wanted to see if my way of adding steam to the oven somehow made a difference. It did, the crust was pretty crunchy today.

4) The inside was soft and fluffy, which means I am doing an ok job kneading it. (Hooray!)

5) I did not use a sharp enough knife to score the top and should be more careful to get these little details right.

Learning is fun, isn't it?




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Moni - I am really enjoying reading along with you as you take this journey. I can't wait to find out what else you learn (mostly so I can learn it too!). One thing I do know is that there are tons of great (cheap) kitchen supply stores in T.O. If you're ever in the city, give me a call and we can go shopping for spatulas and whisks!

Unknown said...

Moni - I had the bread for breakfast this morning.... it tasted REALLY good!! Just so you know. ;)

Jessica said...

moni,
i have the best and easiest bread recipe for you to try. it makes an awesome almost bauernbrot type of bread. my all time favorite!

let me know if you're interested in the recipe and i'll get it to you!

jessica