Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sprouting Headquarters



Weight for weight, sprouted seeds contain more nutrients than any other natural food known to man - enough to rival even the best supplement pills available. They contain high concentrations of valuable enzymes, proteins, mineral substances, trace elements and natural vitamins. Sprouts also contain excellent fiber that is beneficial to the intestines and regulates the digestive process. Since they grow right up to the moment they are picked, practically no nutrients are lost. (source)


It's Sprouting, Day 1.
By the weekend we should be enjoying a fun combination of organic alfalfa, radish, and broccoli sprouts. I borrowed this biosnacky sprouter from my mom, feeling very grateful as it has many great childhood memories of watching daily growth attached to it. The waiting game between seed time and harvest in an outdoor garden can test the patience of just about any child, but when sprouting, action starts almost immediately! I soaked half a cup of seeds for 8 hours, and then gently spread them in the sprouter trays. The bottom tray catches excess water and is very easily removed twice a day when I pour 1 cup of water into the top tray. The water slowly dribbles from tray to tray, perfectly moistening each seed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so fun!! How will you serve the sprouts? Sandwiches and salads? I can't wait to see your recipes for the sprouts! ~Vanessa

Katie said...

Mostly fresh, I would think... with cheese, on steak, salads, sandwiches, anywhere I can squeeze them in, since I have a feeling I am going to have a surplus!