Thursday, March 10, 2011

Good-bye, old man Winter



Shout with me, if you will, a big good-bye to old man Winter! I can not tell you how joyous I feel at the thought of the world around me coming to life again. You probably don't feel much different, I would imagine, unless you live for Winter sports, then, I am sorry. Apple Streusel Crisp is a dessert/afternoon snack I begin making at the first sign of Fall, continuing right through Winter, after which it is put aside, so I have something to look forward to, later that year. It's been a staple in my kitchen for at least 11 years, a number I find amusing, as I don't feel I've been around long enough to use such a thing. Royal Gala are not your usual baking apple, yet I prefer them, I love my apples super soft. Crispin or Granny Smith apples are great if you prefer apple chunks to hold their shape.



Apple Streusel Crisp

Serves 6


Streusel:

6 tbsp cold butter

1 cup oatmeal, rolled

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp salt

In a medium sized bowl, cut the cold butter into small chunks, add oatmeal, sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt, using fingers, incorporate the dry ingredients into the butter until it resembles a chunky, coarse meal. Place in the fridge while preparing the apples.

Apple filling:

3 lbs Royal Gala apples (about 6 - 8)

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp dry ginger

dash each nutmeg and ground cloves (optional)

1 tbsp all purpose flour

1 tbsp cornstarch


Preheat oven to 350 F. Peel, quarter, core and cut apples into even slices (about 3 slices per quarter). Cut slices into 3/4 inch cubes. As you cut the apples, place them directly into a glass or ceramic baking dish, about 8 x 11 inch in diameter. Once all the apples are done, evenly stir the brown sugar over them. Then add the spices, flour and corn starch. Take the streusel topping out of the fridge, and layer over the apples. Place on the middle rack in the oven, and bake, uncovered, about 1 hour, or until apples are soft. Serve with yogurt, milk, whipping cream or ice cream.

No comments: