Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Mamma Mia!

I am thrilled to finally be working with my new cook book, David Rocco's Dolce Vita. (I happen to have a pet dog named after this guy...) This does leave me a bit distracted from my pro books, but when is there a better time in the year than the dead of winter to eat healthy comfort food, which is even doable on the weekend?! This menu makes me want to get in the kitchen and COOK, but it's after bed time right now so it will have to wait, at least until tomorrow afternoon. Many of the recipes in this book simply list ingredients - no amounts, hardly any directions. Instead a little blurb explains the desired result, the aura of the dish if you will. And then it's all by feel, by knowing what you want out of your food. Here's what we'll be enjoying this week:

Risotto Spinaci di Orsala (Spinach Risotto)
with Pork Sausages and Salsa di Porcini (Porcini Sauce)



Salsa Bolognese with Spaghetti (Meat Bolognese)
Finocchio al Forno (Caramelized Fennel)



Lenticchie con Pancetta (Sauteed Lentils with Pancetta)
Baby Greens with simple Vinaigrette
Tomato and Basil Bruschetta



Crocchette di Patate (Sesame Crusted Potato Croquettes)
Baby Greens with Mustard Vinaigrette



I am also making a semi-hard Doughnut out of flour, sugar, olive oil, white wine and aniseed, called Ciambelle. A doughnut that just might be good for you...! European desserts in general are a lot less sweet than they are here. In Italy they like to dunk their cookies in coffee or wine, rather than smother them with frosting. Either way, dessert is dessert, it is meant to be an indulgence, and we like what we like.

2 comments:

Wanda said...

I was actually going to ask you today if you had ever made doughnuts. I made some in September and wanted an excuse to make them again. Let me know how these turn out! I'd love to try another, less Canadian version.

Tanja Dueck said...

Oh das Risotto Gericht sieht himmlisch aus ;) muss ich unbedingt auch machen!!!