Wednesday, December 23, 2009

We love to bake them, we love to eat them.



Christmas is not only about the birth of Jesus, good food with company and presents galore, but also about creating family traditions. I am the first to admit I like things a little different and freshened up every year, but there are some little tidbits that I love to do every year, and I added a new one just today. I had these cookies in mind last year, but it was Christmas Day when I thought of them, a little too late for making it out to the grocery store. Instead I made a note in my day timer, for Christmas 2009. Here they are, Candy Cane Chocolate Chunk Cookies!


Chewy Candy Cane Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Makes 3 - 5 dozen, depending on how big you like your Christmas cookies... I usually end up with about 3

2/3 cup melted Butter
2 cups lightly packed Brown Sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp Hot Water
2 2/3 cups Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
300g large chocolate chips or baking chocolate, chopped into chunks
1/2 cup crushed Candy Canes (another great opportunity to give food a good beating)

Beat butter, brown sugar, eggs and hot water together.
Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add to butter mixture.
Stir in chocolate and candy canes
Drop by tbsp fulls onto parchment paper lined cookie trays.
Bake at 374F/190C for 8 to 10 minutes. (Take cookies out when just the centers look slightly undercooked, they will firm up as they cool off, and will remain chewy)

1 comment:

BDrost said...

nice pic... I recognize those little ornaments! Cute.