Saturday, December 26, 2009

Exciting drop biscuit update!

It's been a truly wonderful Christmas this year, as it is every year, but this one just felt a little *extra* special. I have to brag and say that our dinner was stunning - Beef Tenderloin, stuffed Mushrooms, Asiago Risotto, Caesar Salad and the biscuits you see above. I wanted to relieve my mother in law of all the work that goes into a traditional turkey dinner, and allow her to sit back and enjoy the festivities. This also gave me the chance to change things up a little, as I tend to do, and I decided on a festive, but definitely not traditional meal. Originally, I meant to make a puff pastry type bread stick, to replace the dinner roll, but I was a little over ambitious and so decided to fall back on a trusty staple - my drop biscuit recipe. I did, however, use the filling for the puff pastry recipe in the biscuits. Where I would normally go for a sharp cheese and herb I instead turned them into Sundried Tomato and Basil Biscuits. Now for anyone who loves sundried tomatoes as much as I do, I just know this is as exciting to you as it was to me. Sun soaked tomatoes baked right into a fluffy biscuit and hit with some basil is a simple pleasure I will forever enjoy.

Here's the basic biscuit recipe:

Drop Biscuits
Makes 12 biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450 F (230 C). Prepare pizza stone or baking sheet.
In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter. Add the milk and flavourings and mix only until the dry mixture has been absorbed.
Drop by heaping spoonfuls (12 even portions) onto a pizza stone.
Bake for 12 - 1 5 minutes, until golden brown

For the Sundried Tomato and Basil version you need:

1 small garlic clove, peeled
6 oil packed sundried tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil (or if you are whipping these up spur of the moment, and aren't well stocked with fresh herbs, use 1 tsp dried basil)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
optional - 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, which the biscuits in the photo do not have, as there was plenty of cheese in the meal already, but I am pretty sure it would be a beautiful addition

Puree garlic clove in food processor, then add sundried tomatoes, basil, oil and salt. Sitr into biscuit dough.
Fold in the cheese, if using.
Bake as in basic biscuit directions.

No comments: