Friday, February 11, 2011

Super seeds


Today was a life changing day; in a small way, but it's huge for me. I simply made a decision not to feel overwhelmed by the thought of integrating new grains and seeds into our diet. I am OK with not cooking them perfectly right off the bat. I am very much all right with going over budget to dive head first into super foods. I am tired of white sugar and processed starches. I am craving real. For someone who could do without meat, this is a long awaited step into the right direction.
So, first thing this morning, after a quick shower and coffee to get me started, I headed to my local bulk foods store. Usually visited only when needing baking supplies or colorful items to decorate birthday or other special occasion treats, I headed down aisles and stopped in front of bins that, until today, were rather mysterious to me. Until this moment, I passed them, regardless of how health conscience I am (would like to be). Amazingly, opening these "other" bins was no different from opening bins filled with chocolates. The scoops are identical, too. What in the world was I waiting for, anyway? I felt like a kid in a candy store, which, I guess I was, except for the kid part - I love being in my thirties and wouldn't trade it for a thing.


I have a friend, Estelle, a fellow blogger friend, whom I've bumped into on occasion - she sews, she takes stunning photographs, she nourishes her family with seeds, among other nutrient rich things, I am sure. She also gave me permission to re-blog her very own recipe, it's my first super food adventure, and baby, I am hooked. See more of Estelle here, and while you're there, make sure to check out her stunning estellelle shop for the most amazing totes this side of the planet has to offer.
Monday happens to be Valentines Day. Yes, it's a little tacky, I am so happy to be a decade into my marriage where the pressure for gifts and flowers no longer exists. We value us every other day of the year, too. (PS my guy friends - spontaneous acts of love are out of this world!) But since it is a little funny to just let the day come and go, try these stunning truffles for a change of pace!
And just because I am giggly at the thought of it, I would like to mention that tonight's family dinner includes Israeli Couscous. And these cookies for dessert, of course.



Seedy Chocolate Truffles
by Estelle
Yields 3 dozen

1 cup medium unsweetened coconut flakes, divided
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, lightly toasted in a dry skillet
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp black sesame seeds
1 tbsp shelled hemp seed
1/2 cup ground almond
1/4 cup ground flax seed
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup almond hazelnut butter or all natural peanut butter
1/2 cup raw liquid honey

Set aside 1/2 cup coconut flakes in a small bowl.
Combine the almond or peanut butter with the honey.
Throw the remaining ingredients into a large bowl and combine well using a whisk or fork.
Add in the nut butter mixture and stir until very well mixed.
Shape and roll the cookie "dough" into walnut-size balls and roll gently in the reserved coconut. Place the cookies directly in the container you'll use to store them in, making sure not to squeeze them in until they've had time to set.
Enjoy right away or rest in the fridge for half hour to firm up.
Store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.




2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Estelle said...

Yay! I just saw this now!! Thanks for sharing!