Friday, July 9, 2010

Learning makes our brains grow



So I am feeling a tad out of step.

School's out and, oddly enough, boredom must be cured. Do children not realize how lucky they are to be out of school? I am sure my sisters and I experienced the same. Chores come to mind, especially window washing, seemingly always a good way to stop four sisters from bickering. To the credit of my beautiful girlies, they do have an imagination to be rivaled, and although our home is a disaster, it's good to know all those toys were worth their purchase. But how is it they need new excitement around each corner, what's so bad about a lazy nap, I ask.

My personal out-of-stepness, if you will, probably comes from a lack of challenging myself in the kitchen since that last school bell rang. When hubby and kids can't believe their eyes at hot dogs being offered, a break welcomed by myself also, I know it's time to step it up again and lose myself over new culinary techniques.

Regardless, there are some staples that have mouths watering, no matter how often they are made. Here's my number 1 Marble Cake:


Marble Cake

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
1/2 tsp table salt
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk
2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
In a large bowl, whisk butter with sugar and eggs until creamy and light.
Add flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, eggs, vanilla and milk.
Incorporate slowly with whisk, then beat for 2 minutes.
Reserve 1 cup of batter, and pour remaining into prepared loaf pan.
Stir cocoa into reserved batter, pour evenly onto white batter, and using a knife, swirl cocoa batter into the white to incorporate in a marble effect.
Bake in preheated oven for 50 - 60 minutes, until a wooden pick comes out clean.




No comments: