Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cookie with benefits

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies, with a Banana thrown in
Makes 3 1/2 - 4 dozen - These freeze amazingly well, and are a yummy treat frozen! Try sandwiching a scoop of ice cream in between two. Mmmmm summer!

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup overripe banana, mashed
1 cup chocolate chips
1 3/4 cups rolled oats

Preheat the oven to 375.
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Beat in egg.
All at once, add the flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon on top of the butter mixture.
Stir together the dry ingredients, then mix into the butter. (Hey, it's a short cut I've used for years! And only admitted to it after watching Anna Olsen doing the same on her TV show. Save a dish, have a dish!)
Next, stir in the mashed banana, chocolate and oatmeal.
Drop by teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheets, bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Let cool and store in airtight container.





I love to add a little extra something to my baking. It's possible I justify to myself the sugar and butter added also, but I am pretty sure I'm quite hooked on the flavours fruits and vegetables, nuts and dried fruits add to a cookie, muffin and loaf. Or pancake!

It's been hot lately... oh so very hot! If you know me well, you will remember I am not a huge fan of winter, so after a long bout of cold weather, I down right refuse to turn the air on until even I need a little relief.

Heat + bananas = super fast ripening... Basically, we eat them "straight from the package" for the first 2 or 3 days. Then I freeze a few cut into one inch chunks for smoothies. The rest I allow to get just about black, overripe and ready for baking. But how much banana bread can one family eat in a summer? Thus the cookie.

No comments: